Tuesday, March 6, 2018

The Day my Dad's Heart Stopped

People say it. Don’t take loved ones for granted, you never know when it’ll be the last time you see them.
My Mom and Dad looing good on Friday, March 2,
two days after he came home from hospital.

It was two weeks ago Monday night when I called my Dad, after taking the girls to their gymnastic's class. He told me about their busy weekend visiting my sister and family in Vermont – a funeral, a basketball game, a birthday party and more. He sounded happy but tired. They had just gotten home around 6:00 that night.
I asked him what they were doing the upcoming Friday night. Would they feel up for hosting a sleepover with all 6 of their grandkids??? My sister was planning to come down for a few days of the kid’s winter break. He chuckled and asked Mom. Dad said, “Judah too? Yeah, yeah we could try that and see how it goes.” He treasures his grandchildren, who are ages 2-11 with tons of energy and personality.

That conversation would replay in my head for the next few days, as I wondered if it would be the last time I ever talked to my Dad.
Early the next morning on February 20, my Dad’s heart stopped beating.

I had just returned from a 5 mile run and was getting ready for work, when I got the news. My husband walked in with an awful look on his face. “Cam called, your Dad went into cardiac arrest!”
“NOOOOOOOOOO! GOD NO,” I yelled.

Many of you have experienced a moment like this. When you get that awful news that makes it hard to even function. To breathe. Yet you must.
As I ran out the door, my daughters were worried about what was happening. I just said, “Grandpa is sick and needs mommy’s help.” I was so afraid they might not see him again… I drove to my parent’s house, praying and trying not to freak, trying to drive safe, calling my sister.

In the distance I saw their home. Emergency vehicles crowded the driveway. I drove up on the lawn and ran inside. Police officers, EMTs and other responders were everywhere inside.
“Where’s my Dad? How’s my Dad?” They looked at me. I could see in their eyes, it was not good.

Mom stood helpless in the foyer. “He had a heart attack,” she said with numbness and fear. They asked us to step back, “You shouldn’t see him like this,” an officer said as the emergency personnel struggled to carry my Dad down the steep flight of stairs.
Mom, my brother Cameron, and I huddled in a circle and cried as they loaded Dad into the ambulance. The neighbor and first responder, Philip Schrock, told us he had a heart rhythm and was breathing but it was weak. And they were off.

As I waited for Mom and Cam to get dressed, I called Dad’s only sister, my dear Aunt Bon. She shrieked and immediately left work. I called my youngest brother Aaron. Then I quickly shared a public plea on Facebook, “Pray for my Daddy!!! Just had a heart attack.” And you did. Hundreds of you responded.
At the Nanticoke hospital ER, they sent Mom, Cameron and I to a private waiting room. Our numbers gradually increased as family, pastors and a few friends arrived. We waited and sobbed. We prayed.

Dr. Ferber came to the door. It’s hard to recall exactly what he said, but basically that Byron had gone into cardiac arrest and his heart went into a type of arrhythmia that is often the final beats of the heart before death. They had to shock his body twice with a defibrillator to get his heart beating again before leaving the house. His heart stopped again in the ambulance, so they shocked him a third time on the way to the hospital.
The doctor said that it was largely the quick response calling 911 and beginning chest compressions that made the difference of Dad still having a heart beat.

My Dad, sedated in the ICU the day
of his cardiac arrest

You see, mom had awaken around 7:30 a.m. to a blanket being tossed over her. She then saw Dad’s eyes were rolled back and he wasn’t breathing right. Immediately, she yelled for my brother Cameron to call 911. As he was on the phone, they instructed him to take Dad off the bed and begin chest compressions. Within minutes, the neighbor Philip was there responding to the call and took over giving CPR. They saved Dad’s Life.
Around 9 a.m. at the hospital, Dad was sedated and his heart was beating but less than half the strength it should. They would take him to ICU and begin hypothermic treatment that would cool his body to 91 degrees, decreasing the oxygen needed for the body to recover and reducing the risk of brain damage. At this point, they could not tell if he’d had a stroke or if there would be brain injury. Noone knew what to expect, but this was the best they could do for him…

We stayed at the hospital all day. People came to comfort and support. We totally took over the ICU waiting area. Would our Dad make it? How long would it take for him to come back to us? Would he be able to talk, to walk? So many unknowns.
And then it happened. To our amazement and absolute delight, just two days later on the morning of February 22, 2018 Dad opened his eyes. Talk about a moment of sheer joy and hope!!!  
Mom and my sister Lilli cry tears of joy as they see Dad's eyes opened on Feb. 22.

I was at the hospital with my Mom, husband and all 3 siblings. What tears of relief were shed!

The other day, my Mom and Dad told me that it was on February 22, 1974…exactly 44 years before the day of his awakening…when my Father became a Christian, asking Jesus to be his Lord and Savior. Amazing. Mom calls it MIRACLE DAY!
My husband was a faithful supporter to mom and dad during his hospital stay.
Adrian would stay there for hours some days while I had to go to work.
The following Tuesday, my Dad improved enough to have an operation for a Biventricular ICD a.k.a. a pacemaker on his heart. And the next day, Dad came Home!
My Dad weeps as he hugs my three little ones,
his grandchildren, on the day of his homecoming.

During the 9 days that he was in the hospital, I provided daily updates of his progress on Facebook, he had dozens of visitors, friends brought food and cleaned my parent’s home, and hundreds…maybe thousands…of prayers were lifted on his behalf. An entire community network was lifting us all up.
Especially the Sunday after his cardiac arrest, when my older sister experienced a serious fainting incident at church, likely stress induced, that resulted in paramedics arriving on the scene and her being transported to the same hospital where Dad was recovering. They treated her for a few hours in the ER, then she came to stay at my house for the night.

So it’s official, my Dad and sister Lillian have joined the “Fall Down. Up Again” team!!
What exactly caused my Dad’s cardiac arrest is unknown, but they suspect that his heart had been weakening for years. My Dad has been a plumber for 36 years, crawling in damp spaces under homes and breathing in potent glues. He has struggled with coughing fits and bouts of bronchitis over the years that likely put extra strain on his heart. The doctors say the prognosis looks good with his pacemaker now.

He is one of the fortunate ones, they said. Almost 95% of people who experience the severity of cardiac arrest that my Dad endured, do not get a second chance. And when they do, it’s rare to come through it with relatively little permanent damage.
He has diet and lifestyle changes to embrace, along with rehab and physical therapy. His biggest challenge since being home is the pain in his chest from a cracked rib, which is the result of the CPR and fairly common. He is emotional and overwhelmed with gratitude for the support and still appreciates your prayers.

My Dad, Byron Outten, is the best father a girl could hope for, he has an incredibly generous spirit and is known for being there to support people in their final hours. He is great man of God, and we are so Thankful that he is still here to spread more love.
Now that he’s healing, I can tease him, “Was the idea of having all six of your grandchildren spend the night that overwhelming??? You didn’t have to go and have a heart attack!”

With my Dad on Tuesday, February 27, the day he got his
pacemaker and a week after his cardiac arrest

My mom, Lorna Outten, read this verse the day after Dad’s cardia arrest when he was still sedated….

Psalm 41:1-3

“Oh, the joys of those who are kind to the poor! The Lord rescues them when they are in trouble. The Lord protects them and keeps them alive. He gives them prosperity in the land and rescues them from their enemies. The Lord nurses them when they are sick and restores them to health.”

4 comments:

  1. I cried as I read this post. Taking me back to Oct. 1993 when I lost my dad. We got the updated on fb and I was praying for your dad and the family. I remember that week spent with my dad, he died of cancer. My dad was also my hero, taught me much as I was his gopher and he was a Jack of All Trades, in his words master of none. I don't agree with that, he could build an fix just about anything. So glad when we got the news, that Byron was going home. Wow, God is so good and still performs miracles. Still plan of a visit and still praying for continuing recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story of what God is able to do by having the right people, in the right place, at the right time to make a difference in other people's lives!

    I am a childhood friend of Byron's and played football with him in the Willey family yard on an almost daily basis. In our lower-slower Delaware accents, we called your Dad "Barn" instead of "Byron" because that's just how we said it at Greenwood Elementary School. So I am so glad to learn that Byron (that name still sounds odd to me) survived his heart attack, and I am even happier to learn that he trusted Christ!

    Please say "Hello!" for me, though we haven't connected in over 40 years.

    Reverend Rick Bragg
    Omaha, Nebraska

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderfully written, Julles
    Love y’all, Risha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful story !!! Byron helped me out of a jam many years ago. He is a very kind, soft spoken man..So happy there was a happy ending!!

    ReplyDelete