Saturday, May 2, 2015

Welcome Baby Judah!

"Mom, I think it's happening..." I said calmly Monday night as I walked toward our mini-van to leave my mom's house and suddenly felt a stream of fluid running down my legs. My water broke.

And so begins the story of our Baby Boy's arrival! That was just after 8:00 p.m. Less than 12 hours later at 7:31 a.m. on April 28, we welcomed our first son into the world - Judah Michael Seely.
Judah Michael just over a day old.

Adrian put blue balloons on our mailbox Thursday morning to let the neighbors know his son is born! 

Monday's Surprise

I was exactly 39 weeks pregnant when my water broke without warning. No contractions had started that day, though I had felt some Braxton Hicks contractions that week. To be honest, Monday had been a really tough day for me at work. Nothing was coming together as I had hoped, I got bad news from some clients, and constant computer issues plagued my day. I was up at 5 a.m. working from home, then stayed at the office until 7 p.m. trying to get details cleaned up before my maternity leave started on Friday. I was emotional and exhausted when I left, feeling every bit of the pressure of being nine months pregnant and still trying to provide financially for my family...knowing that I would be taking off the next two months.

My mom was watching the girls that night, and I was so thankful that she had a delicious dinner ready when I arrived. She graciously served me as I propped up my ridiculously swollen feet and tried to relax.

Then, Surprise! An hour later as we were packing up the girls to leave, my body decided it was time to have a baby.

Overnight at the Hospital

By 10:30 p.m. Adrian and I were at Bayhealth's Kent General Hospital checking into a Labor and Delivery room. While this hospital is almost 45 minutes from our home, we chose to have our baby there because it's really the only hospital in southern Delaware that supports VBAC (Vaginal Birth After C-section) deliveries. Our first daughter, Adria, had to be delivered via C-section to prevent damage to her Spina Bifida sack, but I was still able to deliver our second daughter Johanna vaginally. To learn more about our decision and why I wanted a VBAC, read "Where Should I Deliver my Baby?" 

A few contractions were just starting while we waited a few minutes for a room to be prepped during what was a very busy baby night at the hospital. Over the next hour, I answered lots of questions, was hooked up to belly monitors and pricked three times before they were able to get an IV in my veins (gags...) At that point, I was only a centimeter dilated, so I figured we'd be a while before much else happened.

Then, just as I was hoping to get a little rest before the big event really took off, the contractions began to kick in with force. I do NOT have great pain tolerance. In fact, I've been known to faint many times when I am in pain (which is all part of our family's crazy Fall down. Up again. story!). And boy did I feel queezy that night as my body temperature soared, and I tried to power through the contractions until I was more dilated.

Finally, around 4 a.m. I was actually struggling to stay conscious as the contractions became stronger and more regular. God bless mothers everywhere for enduring this pain for their babies! It was time for some serious intervention. We were blessed with an amazing nurse that night, who was so kind and helpful. She said I was almost 4 cm dilated at that point and could get an epidural if I wanted to. Yes, please!!!

Within a half hour, my world had changed. The glorious epidural had been inserted and provided almost total relief of my contractions. That huge needle in the back is totally worth it! In case you're foggy on what an epidural is, here's some info...Epidural pain relief.

Instead of suffering through the final hours of my labor, I slept. That's right, fast asleep while the contractions grew stronger. I admire women who labor and deliver without pain intervention, but I'm not ashamed to take the "easy" road on this one!

Baby's Arrival

Just before the 7 a.m. shift change, my nurse and midwife were surprised to find that I was fully dilated and ready to push! I was sad that my nurse had to leave just as the real action was getting started, but the midwife said she didn't think it would take too long for baby, so she saw me through.

They had to tell me when to push, since I couldn't feel the contractions. And just after I started pushing, I had to vomit...kinda gross, but they had the barf bags handy. I pressed on and 30 minutes later a baby emerged! He was in fact the BOY we had believed and hoped for!!

Immediately, he was placed on my chest where he let out loud, healthy cries as they wiped him down. It was truly amazing. He had a head full of hair and was completely perfect. I had experienced nothing like that with my girls. The skin to skin contact with this precious life I had carried for the last nine months was powerful.
This is the first photo I ever took of my son, just moments old resting on Mommy...be still my heart.
I held him there for more than an hour before he was even weighed and measured. He impressed me so much when he figured out how to latch on and begin breast feeding! A much faster learner than his sisters.

He weighed in as my largest baby at 8 lbs. 1 oz. and almost 21 inches long. Judah is adorable and so healthy. What a blessing!!! This mama does not take that for granted at all.

It's exciting to share this good news, just like when we first Announced New Life  and that Adria's prediction of a Baby Boy was right!

Our Precious Family

My husband Adrian was by my side through that night and during our hospital stay, providing great support and loving on his little boy. He is one proud Daddy!
Daddy and his little boy spent hours snuggling together during our hospital stay.

And I let Adria skip kindergarten that Tuesday morning to come up with her sister and Granny to meet baby brother. Of course, she was thrilled and Johanna was quietly intrigued by this new baby. Adria even became the first to sing Judah a song...Jesus Loves Me. Sooo sweet.


Adria holds her Baby Brother for the first time while Johanna giggles.

Mommy's first picture with her THREE babies.
I actually still had the string of pearls on that I had worn to work the day before.

Recovery has gone well, and we've been enjoying life at home with our newly expanded family since late Wednesday night.

It truly feels like a Spring season in our lives as we experience the joy of new life and look with hope to our family's future. The name Judah means "praised" and is a strong biblical name, as King David and Jesus were direct descendants of Judah, one of the 12 sons of Jacob.

We do Praise God for our little Judah.

3 year old Johanna loves her "baby brodder" and says "Aww, he's so cute!" about 100 times a day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment