Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Every Christmas card has a Story

There are very few areas in my life where I can claim to be organized, but I do fairly well with my addresses for Christmas cards. They are saved in a label format on Microsoft Word, so all I have to do is go through the file and update addresses, add or delete names based on who we've met that year or lost contact with, and then print. Stick the labels on the cards and Presto they're ready!

It works great, but it does make me think how annoying we must be for making you change your record of our address every year for the past five years. Any of you who've sent us mail have probably about given up on trying to keep track of us! And I don't blame you; trust me, this wasn't all planned.

But this year it really struck me as I went through the list of names and addresses, that so many of us are going through life events that are "unplanned" - not that we could possibly plan out life. There were many names I had to delete, some because they are no longer with us on earth and others because of broken marriages or strained relationships. It made my heart sad to think of your pain.

We understand pain, but not all types. And I know that your pain is unique to you and your life experience. Whatever it is, it matters and is significant. Whether you lost your mother this year or your husband left you or you're not cuddling a baby that was supposed to be in your arms or you are alone again wondering if love will ever find you...your story matters.

So I prayed for you. Though my cards may feel impersonal, since I didn't hand write your address or even sign our name (it's printed on the card), I thought of you. As I stuck on the label, stuffed our picture card inside, placed the stamp and sealed the envelope, I said a short prayer.

If there is anything I am convinced of or anything I have learned over the past few years, it would be that we are all going through something. Big or small, there is a pain in our heart. And so often it is held in secret. But God knows. He sees. Whether you feel that or not.

Much of the reason why I decided to share our journey is to offer hope that you can survive the pain and the daily grind and keep going in the face of uncertainty. And while Christmas should be a joyous time, for some it can make the pain more acute. For three years straight, Adrian had a seizure within a few days of Christmas, robbing us of much festive joy.

As you open your Christmas cards this year and look at the happy smiling faces, realize there is much more to their story. And whether you receive a card from me or not, know that I appreciate you and that you care enough to share in our story.

Whatever is on your heart this season, let's remember that at Christmas we celebrate the life of Jesus. He came to earth to live as a man, to experience our pain, and to carry our burdens. His Story is the greatest of all!

No comments:

Post a Comment